Saturday, April 12, 2008

Nearly there....Online productivity tools

Online productivity tools

Wow didn't know about all these useful applications. Saving data to Google docs/ zoho would eliminate the need to store files and transport them with you. You could access the files from anywhere. No need to worry about that disk you left in the library because you wouldn't need to bring it with you! Also handy for "collaboration" (is it only me or does that term sound like war criminals?!). Would this be the end of buying software like MS Office? I know I only use a few basic features of Word and occasionally Excel.

I had trouble viewing the slide show on Slideshare, no sound came up. However I really liked the idea of Jott and tadalist. I like making lists (and occasionally doing the things on the list!) I could browse through a bookshop, see the books I like, send a message via Jott then add to my "reading list" on Tadalist.

Going to try Google Docs and check my gmail while there. OK here's the document I created.

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=dsmpw4c_0hnxq73gq&hl=en

and I think I shared it with nswpln@gmail.com

Uses at work:-
  • Minimising meetings as people can access and work on documents at the same time from different locations eg when a team is set up to work on library policy.
  • Could allow some work to be done from home too.
  • Online storage would mean the end to IT departments asking people to remove unnecessary data from various drives to free up space.
  • For the public- can access their files from anywhere eg at home, uni, work and in the library without carrying around USB drives

No comments: