Wednesday, March 5, 2008

RSS

Another day, another acronym...

I am not sure if this would save time or take up more time, everything you want right there on one page, more time on a chair staring at the screen. However I do tend to return to the same sites regularly so can see the advantage of having all new posts there at once.

I subscribed to Bloglines and chose some feeds from their list. I added the Powerhouse Museum link. Then had trouble subscribing to a blog "Who's your Daddy" seen on smh.com.au. I tried adding the button to the toolbar then copying/ pasting the URL but it didn't come across. There seems to be too much happening on this page.

Took a break and read the joke of the day and when I went back I could subscribe to "Who's your Daddy". YAY!! Just had to scroll down further and click on another "subscribe" button. So next I subscribed to a Queensland holidays blog (only dreaming) and it worked first time.

Applications for public libraries:-
  • A way to reach the community to promote upcoming events, new releases, library news, book reviews, a weekly or monthly look at a certain part of the collection (eg ABS, newspaper collections, mystery writers)
  • Staff could use it to keep up to date with current news and events
  • Library users often come in to check overseas newspapers, they could do this from one site rather than jumping around

Ok enough technology for today

1 comment:

pls@slnsw said...

Glad to see you are thinking of ways to use RSS in your work.

Ellen